Girlfriends are bad for your self-esteem...

The place is Jara market, I'm reading a book called POP! behind the booth and a young man approaches with his wicked evil girlfriend... He flips through a couple of books, you could read it in his eyes... I want to read, I just never knew what or how!? What does his supportive girlfriend do?

She turns to him, looks him in the eye and tells him in front of a mutual friend, "You're not the type of person to read such books, you should be reading comic books with pictures..." she laughs... he halts with a confused look on his face, looks at the books again and looks back at her and smiles... all in a fraction of a second...

He walks away with his devilish girlfriend and their mutual friend... Now, this is a typical case of wrecking someones self esteem, knowledge and passion... It is done systematically in low portions with many of the guys that I know... The problem is, its not even noticed by the boyfriend!! He doesn't know what's happening until someone opens his eyes and he suddenly realizes that a Girlfriend can be a life changing experience... I couldn't help wonder, what if he bought that book on MBA, or the other one on starting your own business?! could it have changed his life, the way he sees things...

I wanted to stand up and tell her a few things about this man, that she had no right to decide how he should act... that this guy is better than anyone can tell or expect... but being the man who is selling the books... my motives would be questioned... sure I would have liked a couple of JD's in profit but that's nothing compared to the thrill of changing people's lives and giving them solutions...

Another one approaches his girlfriend by his side the man wants to read what happens?! He says I want a business book I just don't know what!? His girlfriend is running high on temper, looking everywhere wants to move on... his friend says "look at him he should read a book on personal hygiene" and smiles... Talk about wrecking a man's spirit...

But this guy stands firm, I want this book... I tell him a little bit about it I tell him its on management, it's a bit expensive... and I tell him it might not be what you want... There is another book that is more comprehensive (and cheaper, I'm not very good at sales)... Anyway, his girlfriends says no that's a great book... She has no idea what the book is about, she just likes the cover... He insists on having the book his girlfriend chooses, a book that is so thick he will probably be bored after the introduction...

As they leave the girlfriend holds a book that is on how civilizations collapse and what are the common characteristics for collapsing civilizations... flips into the middle of the book, gazes for a couple of seconds... closes the book and tells her the man... "This is a great book, it explains everything about BUSINESS but in a story telling manner", and walks away... MESH MA3GOOL.. The book has nothing to do with what she said...

The young man had already paid for the expensive book, I stood in complete amazement... I just thanked God she didn't convince him to buy the other book... At least the one he already bought had something to do with business...

Anyway, I've heard it alot "I want to buy a life changing book, I just never knew what a life changing book looked like?!", so here is a short list on some great business books and PEOPLE never underestimate what your girlfriend/boyfriend/friend might be doing in terms of life changing events... watch carefully and open your eyes for God's sake...

1) Fire Your Boss
2) Good to great
3) Effective Executive
4) 10 Day MBA
5) The 22 Immutable laws of Branding
6) Focus
7) Fortune Favors the bold
8) Inside The tornado
9) POP!
10) You've got to read this book

Piece man and Listen to your heart...

تعليقات

‏قال غير معرف…
How about: Now Discover Your Strengths; First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently; and The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success.
‏قال M Kilany
I didn't have the chance to read those books... but I read reviews on the first 4 books... they had excellent publicity...

Thanks for sharing and keep them coming...
‏قال LotusGem
أزال المؤلف هذا التعليق.
‏قال LotusGem
One boring but useful book is "5 patterns of highlighy successful managers" or something to that effect.

I realize its victim to the X patterns of Y and Z syndrome, but it nevertheless carries some eye opening information.

Btw, great post, but read through it. I noticed some mistakes.
‏قال M Kilany
I will lotusgem, thanks for the tip...

المشاركات الشائعة من هذه المدونة

Destroying A King's School in Jordan (Built in 1947)

When did Jordan become a country?

زمن الحمير و مكافآت دائرة السير بمناسبة الغلاء